Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Loch Treig and Loch Ossian: Beinn na Lap (241)

Walk date: 7/7/14
My Munro #'s: 246

Pronunciations - translations - heights:

Byn na lap - possibly mottled hill - 935m

Statistics:
Duration - 10:30 - 13:30
Distance - 9.8 km
Total ascent -  568m
Weather - rain at start but it soon settled.  Warm spells on ascent but turned windy on top. 
Team - with Paul P
Other hikers: none




Day 3 - Monday

After the pain of the previous day with my toes I rejigged our plans for this day so that just Beinn na Lap was the aim and not a combined walk with its neighbours as had been plotted.  This I figured would allow me to properly assess the toe situation and also allow us to be down early enough to do some shopping, which wasn't possible after coming off the hills late the day before which had been a Sunday.

A short drive along the Corrour Estate track from our flat on Ossian got us very close to the back of the hill.  Just on the off chance I decided to take the insoles out of my shoes in case my theory of the resoling of my boots making them smaller on the inside was true.  Immediately I felt an improvement, but it would be the downhill that would be the true test.  

The uphill from the back of Beinn na Lap is fairly remote with most hikers taking aim from Loch Ossian and the Youth Hostel/train station, which is a shame because the incline is nice and gentle over grassy slopes with great view over to the neighbouring hills.  Without much incident, and passing over many a wild strawberry, we were onto the wide summit.

Our relaxed stop on top was very pleasant but also rather windy, and the coats were soon on.  As we pushed on back down I was very relieved to find that my boots were no longer causing me damage, meaning that removing the insoles had done it.  Of course, a certain amount of damage had been done and so they were still hurting, but it gave me optimism that we might have a meaty week of hills yet!

The early finish did have the benfit of giving us enough time to explore the lochside, see pics...


At the very pleasant and spacious summit:

Views down to Ossian:

The summit from a little way away...

And now, our very bizarre flat in the Corrour estate:





























Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home